Mississippi Queen – Basics Regarding One Of The Largest Paddle-Wheelers Ever Sailed Along The Mississippi River
The Mississippi Queen is considered to be the second largest paddle-wheeler river boat ever built. When it was built by the Delta Queen Steamboat Company back in 1976, this ship was the largest steamboat. It was a 7-deck Mississippi River ship which now is being owned by the Majestic America Line. The largest steamboat of the company is not considered to be American Queen.
The Mississippi Queen had over 200 staterooms with a capacity of over 400 passengers and a crew of around 150 members. The ship was 380 feet long, 68 feet wide and have a weight of over 3.300 tons.
The decor of the ship was All American, with fabric and floral wallpapers, crystal chandeliers, polished brass railings as well as beveled mirrors.
Most of its public rooms were located on the Observation Deck. The Grand Saloon has been the center of activity acting as a lecture hall, activity center and a showroom. The large dance floor has been well used on most of the river cruises, many of which have had a Big Band theme. The charming Wheel House was practically the glass enclosed observation area where the river charts and the riverlorian`s library were found.
The cuisine of Mississippi Queen has reflected a cross-section of some regional American specialties. There were many south-eastern favorites featured such as Black Bean Soup, Veggie Jambalaya, Fried Green Tomatoes, Bayou Stuffed Catfish, Blackened Sirloin, Louisiana Seafood Chowder or crawfish. Fish or steaks were been very well prepared and the desserts were always outstanding. There were two different seating for dinner at 17.15 and at 19.45.
The attentive American crew members added to the friendliness felt on board the river boat ships.
When in service, Mississippi Queen was an authentic stern paddle-wheeler with a wheel which measured over 22 feet, 36 feet wide and weighed over 70 tons. This paddle-wheeler featured a 44 whistle steam calliope, which was considered to be the largest on the Mississippi River. In 2008, Mississippi Queen was reported to be out of cruises service until one year after.
The Mississippi Queen has been laid up at Perry Street Wharf in New Orleans after it was gutted for renovation. However, this steamboat has been sold for scrap in the late spring of 2009. The boat was towed for its last time on March 24, 2011 to Morgan City to be cut down. Its dismantling had begun a short wile ago, on April 7.
River cruise tours are considered to be one of the most entertaining way of relaxing, and Mississippi River cruises will most certainly make no exception. When it comes to Mississippi River cruises, you will be having a few various options. You will be able to travel along the Mississippi River on board a steamboat or you can choose a theme cruise. You will also be able to visiting various ports of call or simply stay on the water on the renowned Delta Queen.
A paddle-wheeler boat is probably the best ways for exploring the Mississippi River`s history. You will be getting the experience of a “showboat” entertainment for the nineteenth century. You will be visiting New Orleans and you will also be able to taste Cajun food. You will get to see the Gateway Arch in St. Louis. If you will be interested in more regular ports, you will also be able to visit Nashville or Chattanooga. The 3 river boats providing Mississippi River cruise tours are the Delta Queen, the Mississippi Queen and the American Queen.
Various theme cruises will include Jazz, Cajun, Big Band or Civil War themes. Several of these cruises are usually narrated, offering an entertaining lesson in history with which the Mississippi River will come to life. A more common theme will be the old-fashioned holidays. You and your close ones will be able to participate in a thanksgiving meals along the Mississippi River like in the nineteenth century. Old-fashioned Christmas or New Year`s cruise tours will also be available. These are usually great opportunities to celebrate the holidays with your family. And you do not even have to prepare those meals.
Mississippi River cruises during the fall are also great ways for discovering nature`s changes. You will be able to explore the changing in the leaves` colors. You will be able to enjoy seasonal meals and include apple cider or pumpkin pie. Various interactive narrated cruise tours will encourage the identification of leaves or flowers.
River boat cruises will provide distinct experiences to guests. You will be able to participate in bluegrass jamborees. You will be able to learn about the culture of Native Americans. Various Civil War stops will be encountered along the Mississippi River cruises. River boat cruises on this river will provide historic experiences to all guests.
Mississippi River cruises are simply a perfect way for exploring the history of United States. You will be having several cruise options which will appeal to your or your close ones. Regardless of whatever you wish to explore along the Mississippi River, you will most certainly find a Mississippi River cruise package which will be right for you. Get in touch with your cruise agent for planning the best possible Mississippi River cruise experience for your and your close ones.
American Queen Riverboat – Basics Regarding One Of The Most Well Known Stern-Wheelers Which Cruised The Mississippi River
American Queen is considered the largest river boat that was ever built. This boat has been built in 1995 and is considered to be a 6-deck recreation of a traditional Mississippi river boat, which is owned by Delta Queen Steamboat Co.. The American Queen`s stern paddle-wheel is being powered by an authentic steam plant, and her secondary propulsion and much more of its maneuverability will come from a few diesel-electric propellers, also being known as Z-drives, on each side of the stern-wheel.
The boat will include over 200 staterooms and has a capacity of over 430 passengers and a crew of around 160 members. The ship is 420 feet in length and 90 feet wide.
A nice and relaxing attitude will pervade most of the ship. No one will leave the impression of wanting to knock down the doors of the dining area so they can get to a table; audiences will not jump up or scurry out of the show public room when the production will end; the crew or the officers will generally smile with every occasion, just eager to accommodate passengers, and just a few hours or so will seem know each passengers` name.
Guests who will enjoy antebellum architecture and the history or culture of Cajun, will find this kind of travel by water to their own liking. From red beans or lemonade to official on board “riverlorian” or a “Ladies parlor”, this type of trips are generally designed only for those certain travelers who are interested in back-in-time travel.
The cuisine on the American Queen is very good and plentiful. While vegetarian, sugar-free or just about any other menu items will be available, the cuisine is generally more geared to those who will not often count their calories. Much of it will be fried, sauced or creamed. But hey, is that really so bad? Au contraire! You will most likely feel that is too good.
On Nov. 20, 2008, American Queen was retired to the reserve fleet in Violet. Due to the failure of its owner, the Majestic America cruise company, the boat was returned to MARAD (United States Maritime Administration) who held her over $30.000.000 mortgage. At the present, the ship is in storage in Beaumont. Starting from April 2011, American Queen is under a contract of over $15.000.000 to HMS Global Maritime, which is based in New Albany. The Great Amercian Steamboat Company, its new operator has announced its new plans to return it to service along the Mississippi River from a port in Memphis. The ship is to re-join its fellow stern-wheeler riverboats the Chautauqua Belle, Spirit of Peoria, Belle of Louisville, Minne-Ha-Ha or Natchez.
There are many people out there who want to know who it is possible to still have fun on golf vacations. Well, if it happens for you to travel with the right friends and you are visiting the best possible locations, the sky is the limit for the amount of pleasure you can enjoy. Therefore, you may choose the friends with whom you will be traveling and then simply find the right cruise packages to let the facilities of a Mississippi golf vacation take care of the rest.
There are many experience golfers who head to Mississippi for enjoying various things, like the natural beauty of this state or the beautiful weather. The truth is that the appeal for Mississippi golf vacations will be actually unparalleled. This destination will provide all that will need to dream about and many more in terms of opportunities for enjoying a Mississippi golf vacation. There are more than 100 beautiful golf courses which are designed by professionals like Pate, Fazio, Cupp, Nicklaus, Palmer, Love or Irwin along with a few esteemed ones like the Grand Bear by Nicklaus or the 36-hole Dancing Rabbit by Fazio.
Get Mississippi golf packages for experiencing memorable moments on extraordinary greens with a few additional attractions such as high-class casinos, , blues music with architectural mastery or renowned gourmet dishes.
Most of the people will opt for Mississippi golf courses more than others because the nice weather which lasts all year long, cheap golf courses, parks and beaches, quick ease of access as well as many more attractions.
There are over 140 courses throughout the area of Mississippi and they are generally suited in five specific areas with many beautiful designs and distinct category of prices to suit just about any budget out there. No matter where you will be playing, you will easily find lodging which will match your requirements that will range from breakfasts to beautiful beds or high-class casino resorts offering gourmet meals or dining in the south-eastern style.
As you had probably noticed already, Mississippi will provide fun activities as well as live entertainment, quality accommodations, breathtaking scenery and much more so anyone can be sure will have an enjoyable golf holiday. Try to find Biloxi golf packages and much more so you can enjoy course full of the best possible facilities or quality setting.
There are many travelers that have sailed on board an ocean ship to Alaska, Europe, the Caribbean or other interesting destinations around the world. For those who are looking for an interesting and unique experience, you should also take into consideration to go on a river cruise. River cruise tours are generally being offered throughout the entire world including Russia, China, Egypt or Europe. The unique experience of a river cruise tour is practically like no other type of cruise. A cruise along a river will allow travelers to become immersed in that specific area they are visiting. Below are five reasons why river sailing is considered to be an ideal vacation choice for both experienced and new travelers.
1. Explore Beyond The Coast – River sailing is a little different from sailing on an large ocean vessel. When you will be docking in a port and you will be walking off the vessel, you will literally be in the center of that certain city. You will be able to visit smaller towns as well, which will give you the real chance of experiencing the culture of that certain area. These sometimes off-the-beaten-path locations will make for a nice cruise experience which you will probably be remembering for a long time.
2. A more Personalized Cruise Experience – Cruising on some of those larger vessels all around the globe, you will probably find yourself lost in the mix. With hundreds of thousands of fellow travelers just like you as well as the crew constantly moving, it may be quite hard to provide a customized travel experience. River cruises will provide the chance of bonding with other fellow travelers and force new relationships with a helpful cruise staff. River cruise tours providers such as Avalon River cruises or Mississippi River cruises will create an atmosphere which is quite easy to enjoy. Instead of being just another sheep in the herd, you will be able to enjoy other travel companions as well as watch the beautiful scenery a river can offer you. Make certain to bring your video camera so you can document your experience or capture images of the sights around you.
3. Enjoy Local Destination Cuisines – There are many river cruise companies which will provide you a rotating cuisine which will reflect the most recent port of call. Try to leave the pizza or the hot dogs from back home and simply take in the tasteful cuisine that can be found on a river cruise. From the fantastic meals as you will be cruising in the Galapagos islands, to the local specialties from your European travels, you will be sure of finding something new and delicious no matter what you choose. Most of the meals out there will feature regional wines or local ingredients which will be served up by experienced chefs.
4. Tailored Presentations From Local Experts – River cruise tours will tend to feature local guides who are generally experts in a certain field. Try to avoid the more nuanced lecture-guided cruise tours of common cruise companies and choose a more customized tour from a local guide or naturalist. These folks are not skimming through the Wikipedia website to find out more about your next destination and thus prepare your presentation; they usually know the area because they live there and they are generally enjoying informing others about it.
5. Spend Less Time “At Sea” – Perhaps one of the most interesting aspects to select a river cruise tour over a regular cruise will be the 360 degree experience. As you will be finding yourself submersed in different locations, you will be spending a lot less time staring at open water and a lot more time enjoying what you actually came to enjoy: the scenery. The rivers of China, Europe, Egypt or North America will offer you a wide array of extraordinary sights to watch. With the regular cruise companies there will be days “at sea”, but on a river cruise tour, every day will be an adventure.